Sunday, October 13, 2013

Letter To the Editor: Folk-Rock Bands and The Etiquette Seen At Concerts

Below is my PUBLISHED letter to the editor:

Dear Editor: I had to write after attending The Lumineers concert last tonight at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater. The Lumineers were amazing. Although, when a folk-rock band has concerts, issues arise. These kinds of concerts are where radio fans meet the organic fans and order is no longer. I can only pass judgment amongst those around me.

I was surrounded by distractions. I could go into detail but the Lead Singer Wesley Schultz addressed it best when he had to ask the crowd to stand, put down the cell phones and actually interact – more than once. After the radio turns off and you go to that artist’s concert, how do you act during the songs you don’t know? Here are my tips: Appreciate the music; Stand; Do not text; and Put down your phones.

The Lumineers perform to show art. Their audience should be attentive, should want the most out of their paid dollar and should be there with respect for the art. They rocked the stage and they were everything I expected them to be. Although, for a ‘new’ band, they came with more expectations for their fans than I assumed they would, but that is how they get respect in the first place. Expecting more from your fans definitely can’t hurt the integrity of your music.

My full critique that is more than the 250 allotted words, please refer to MyreeteW.Wordpress.com.

Maybe tonight, we can see some different tendencies at The Band Perry and Rascal Flatts. We can only hope.

Myreete Wolford

Tuscaloosa


Now, below is the long version I spoke of from above:

ImagePhoto by Mark Sink – NPR News

Dear Editor,

After attending The Lumineers concert last tonight at The Tuscaloosa Amphitheater, I knew I had to write this.

Today, The Tuscaloosa News will indefinitely put a review of the concert on press and those readers who attended will agree, while those who did not, will wish they were there.

Likely written by Entertainment Editor Mark Hughes Cobb and filled with the musical jargon’s only he would know to use in a concert review story, this piece will be wonderful and perfectly on point to the brilliant show that The Lumineers put on last night. Aspects of the performance, like “they sounded just like their recorded album” or “they got the crowd involved by performing in the middle of the amphitheater,” will be touched on in today’s piece, but something that will not be spoken of is the audience etiquette or lack thereof.

I frequent concerts. I enjoy critiquing and complimenting the band, noting their quirks and simply taking in the night with some damn good art. I adore all genres of music but have an affinity for folk rock bands.

In all honesty, I couldn’t be happier for the music industry because of how popular that genre is right now. It is the return to good, real, honest music – the resuscitation of tunes after Don McLean sang of a musical funeral, expected foreshadowing and tribute to some of the industry’s best.

Folk music is raw and something that we obviously have been looking for – or so says the ‘top 10’ charts every week. The issues that arise, though, from this new type of music is that when the radio fans meet the organic fans at concert, order is no longer. At a concert where the two are one, I apologize but the only thing I can do is pass judgment amongst those around me.

Last night, I was surrounded by distractions. The woman to my left was going through a break-up, the girl in front of me oh-so-politely allowed me to watch the show through her iPhone screen, the couple behind me decided to grind on me as they did to each other and the group to my right was helping the inebriated come to. When you looked to the stand, anyone with an empty seat next to them was sitting down waiting for ‘Ho Hey’ to play so they could stand and join the crowd. Even Lead Singer Wesley Schultz had to ask the crowd to stand, put down the cell phones and actually interact – more than once.

I love that we can all have something with real words and instruments to listen to but the issue becomes that after the radio turns off and you go to that artist’s concert, how to you act during the songs you may not know?

Here are my tips.:

  • If you do not know a song, close your eyes and at least appreciate where you are at that moment. Become present and enjoy the rarity that is the use of instruments and voices.
  • Stand. These individuals are performing and working for you. Give them that courtesy of standing and enjoy the reason you paid money to see the show.
  • Do not text. Again, you paid to see this band. Text when it is over. If you are texting to make someone else jealous that you are there, a better form of pursuing jealousy is through silence and wonder. Try that, instead.
  • Lastly, and this advice comes from a September concert of Passenger in Nashville, put down your phones. One or two pictures, yes, but leaving your phone up for the duration of the song to record a video you will never again look at after that night is useless.

All of these bullets do are tire your arms and deny you the opportunity to truly enjoy what is before you. If you need more of an explanation, YouTube “I Hate” by Passenger. You’ll understand more after a quick listen.

Basically, there are two types of musicians – those who are there to put on a show and those who want to share art. Those who are there for the artistry are those who expect more from their audience.

The Lumineers – and the mentioned Passenger – are the latter. To them, and I say this as if I am on a first name basis with them when I am not, their audience should be attentive, should want the most out of their paid dollar and should be there with respect to their art.

It is positive that these artists appreciate both kinds of their fans – those who only know them from the radio and those who listen to the entire record, pastand current, in order to live by it. Thus, they have no vendetta against the radio listeners who may be a bit out of place at a show, heck the radio listeners are the reason The Lumineers and bands like get to play at venues like The Tuscaloosa Amphitheater.

Although, no matter what kind of fan you are, if you are going to be in the stands or in the pit of The Amphitheater and enjoy your night, do it with respect and take my tips to heart. They are there to better your musical experience.

The Lumineers rocked the stage and they were everything I expected them to be. Although, for a ‘new’ band, they came with more expectations for their fans than I assumed they would, but I guess that is how they get respect in the first place. Expecting more from your fans definitely cannot hurt the integrity of your music – that is certain.

That is my what-for and 10 cents. Thank you for your time and allowing me to write my letter. Maybe tonight, we can see some different tendencies at The Band Perry and Rascal Flatts. We can only hope.

Thank you again for your time.

 Best,

Myreete Wolford

Emails to the editor^

No comments:

Post a Comment